Turkey fun facts!
Turkeys are not just the center of the meal on Thanksgiving. They actually are very interesting animals with a long history in the United States. Here are some interesting facts about turkeys that you can share on Thanksgiving!
- Both the turkey and the bald eagle were both considered as the national symbol of America. Benjamin Franklin was a strong supporter of the Turkey as the national bird.
- The Native American name for the turkey is “firkee”.
- Domesticated turkeys cannot fly, but their wild relatives can fly for short distances.
- Turkeys are the only breed of poultry native to the western hemisphere.
- Turkeys do not have external ears, but have excellent hearing. They can also see in color and have great vision. However, they have a poor sense of smell.
- Turkeys sometimes spend the night in trees.
- The Turkey trot gets its name from the turkey’s short jerky steps.
Do you have any interesting facts about turkeys? Let us know in the comments section!
The post Turkey fun facts! appeared first on Pet Assure Blog.